Saturday, March 12, 2011

Kicking off the Celebrations

Well, here I go. Last summer, while stopping in Ann Arbor while biking from one side of the country to the other, my sister hurled down the proverbial bike glove and asked "What are you going to do for your 60th?!" That got me thinking. I knew for sure that I wasn't going to ride my bike cross country, so what would I do? Hmmm....

My brother told me about a woman he works with who celebrated her 60th by doing something each month to celebrate her life. Her grandkids took her hiking the Appalachian Trail, on a train ride in the Pacific Northwest, and on a whale watch tour, among others.

After much thinking, I decided on six plus one (as described in the blog heading). Two I know for sure: a beginning book binding class and tandem hang-gliding with my best friend. Other ideas include this blog; learning either kayaking or archery (with the goal of improving my upper body strength); researching my family tree, starting on my mother's side (she was born in Scotland); and traveling to the edge of some big water (a small-ship cruise in the PacNW, the Canadian Maritimes, Cape Cod, back to Maine, and/or the Highlands and islands of north and western Scotland).

So far I've done two of the adventures: the beginning book binding class at Hollander's in Ann Arbor and starting this blog. I'll post the first adventure soon and include a picture of the four little books I made.

If you have any ideas on how I can celebrate or want to join me in any of them, let me know. It'll be great fun!

1 comment:

  1. Wow this looks great. It is strange that my mother stood up for me too so I could be the only girl in drafting class plus good at math. Going for a "girl" engineer. Going to pass this on.

    ReplyDelete